How To Overseed Clover Into A Lawn

Overseeding clover seed into your existing lawn is an easy way to establish a clover lawn.

clover overseeded into lawn

Choose Clover Type

There are many types of clover , the most widely cultivated are White and Red Clover. Large, high producing varieties are used for livestock forage. For lawns, the most popular is Dutch White Clover (Trifolium repens) because it is relatively low growing, tolerates close mowing, and out competes other foreign weeds.

Earth Turf Overseed Package lawnOne clover seed company, Earth Turf, has an Overseed Clover Mix with a new type of clover called MicroClover, which is the smallest clover variety available and blends really well into lawns. It is mixed with highly drought tolerant grasses that will further help the lawn. 5lbs covers 1000 sq ft.

Prep

The clover needs room to establish, so cut the lawn at the lowest mower setting, then use a thatch rake or rent a power dethatcher to remove thatch and thin the lawn.

Spread The Clover Seed

Spread by hand for small areas and use a broadcast spreader for large areas. If spreading pure clover seed, not mixed with grass seed, you may want to mix the seed with some sand or compost first to help spread more evenly.

Water

The soil needs to remain moist for good germination, so if it doesn’t rain, water everyday for the first two weeks. Water more if its hot out. The clover will sprout in 7-10 days.

[image from Versicolor.ca, an excellent source of clover lawn info]

{ 8 comments… read them below or add one }

Tom Sceptre April 8, 2014 at 7:36 pm

Planted a lawn with Earth Turf, I has came in nice – lots of little clovers.

Lindee February 17, 2015 at 8:24 pm

Are you still happy with your clover lawn?
We were thinking about replacing our lawn since it has so much clover( and some weeds). It’s really not that bad looking since the clover is widespread and stays green with such little water. I don’t want to give in to a regular sod lawn with its high maintenance needs. Give me some ammunition to convince my husband that clover could be a reasonably good looking alternative.

Jared July 24, 2014 at 9:12 pm

Is “Burr Clover” the only clover with Burrs or do others (or all) have them?

Marilyn Quinn August 21, 2014 at 8:11 pm

I have kept an organic lawn, based on the permitted option in my homeowner’s association contract. Each year I get cited for their being too much clover in my lawn. (I have about 30% clover.) I have had to endure some kind of semi-organic solution to this by our very sympathetic lawn maintenance company. I don’t know if that is true. But he has told me my soil is of much higher quality than my neighbors’ chemical turfs. Does anyone know of a lawyer or a law that I can use to combat this attitude toward clover. I live in southern New Jersey. The only “weed” in my lawn is some clover. I pull up crab grass and dandelions just to make the old people happy.

Samantha September 19, 2015 at 4:50 pm

Have you spoken to those in charge of your HOA? Ignorance should not be the reason for you getting citations. Best of luck.

Cathi May 6, 2016 at 6:42 pm

I don’t know about a lawyer. But I can tell you about some awesome success with keeping dandelions down. I also do this just to keep my older neighbor happy.

I had read that some topsoil (organic) sprinkled in your lawn will suppress dandies. I used a small bag one year and sprinkled most of it right into my existing lawn. The dandies decreased by 90% and my neighbor is happy!

Trevor Dodge November 4, 2014 at 3:00 am

Nice article! We have an accidental clover lawn ( which we love for it’s benefits and it’s blooms that attract bees ). We still have some grass and I hope you can help. Are there any non-toxic fertilizers for lawn, that will not hinder clover growth or it’s bloom cycle ? Also, our clover is green and we are hoping to introduce red clover next year. Any thoughts? Thank you much!

julie October 3, 2015 at 4:34 pm

how do you keep the clover from taking over your planting beds ?